Driving around Rhode Island can be a challenge. It can be difficult to drive on roads filled with drivers who are distracted, lost, or unaware of the rules of the road.
Over time, certain intersections have received attention as being dangerous intersections throughout the state. These intersections have not only have had serious accidents but in some cases, there have been fatalities.
If you have driven within Rhode Island long enough, then the following list of the worst intersections in the state should not surprise you.
Accident statistics in Rhode Island
Accident statistics from around the state display an upward trend in the number of accidents, both fatal and non-fatal.
It also represents a sharp increase when compared to recent years – ranging from around 45 to 50 fatalities – from 2014 to 2016.
A second statistic notes that car, motorcycle, and truck accidents related to speeding has increased by four percent according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
Motorcycle accidents also increased from 11 to all of last year to 6 fatalities from January to June of this year. This statistic is the highest it has been almost five years when the same number of fatalities occurred in 2014.
Worst intersections in the state
A state-wide survey from the Providence Journal asked drivers their opinion of the intersections in the state. Their answers for the worst intersections in the state were:
- Interstate 95 (North and South)
- The 6/10 Connector
- Interstate 195
- RI 146 (South) at Interstate 95 (South)
- RI 146 at Sayles Hill Road
- Interstate 295 at RI 37
- Interstate 295 (South) at Interstate 95 (South)
Examples of accidents at these intersections
These intersections are just a few that Rhode Island drivers consider dangerous or tricky to drive. Recent accidents and their location within these intersections may highlight the state’s need to address infrastructure.
- Interstate 95 (North and South):
- A motorcycle crash involving a driver who was not wearing a helmet and a car resulted in a fatality in August 2018. The motorcycle hit a car and suffered head injuries in Pawtucket. The driver of the car was not injured.
- The 6/10 Connector:
- A chain of deadly car accidents occurred near the 6-10 connector and Interstate 95 in Providence in December 2016. Poor road conditions are believed to be a factor.
- Interstate 195:
- A car accident occurred near the Washington Bridge extending into East Providence on October 9th. This accident occurred in the westbound lanes and was cleared within a half an hour.
- RI 146 (South) at Interstate 95 (South):
- A car crash occurred on I-95 South near RI 146 which resulted in the death of a driver in December 2016. Speed was a factor as the driver traveled across four lanes of I-95 before crashing into a barrier.
- RI 146 at Sayles Hill Rd:
- An oil delivery truck crashed and rolled over onto its side due to a snow bank resulting in a road closure in January 2013 in North Smithfield. The delivery truck was the only vehicle in the crash and no injuries were reported.
- Interstate 295 (South) at Interstate 95 (South):
- A crash involving multiple motorcycles and an SUV resulted in one death and two injuries. This accident occurred in September 2018 in Warwick.
Who to contact if you are in a crash
It’s important to feel safe at all of Rhode Island’s intersections. It is also important to have a car accident attorney represent you if you were in an accident.
If you were in an auto accident, it is important to contact a law firm that can represent you. Providence-based law firm Gemma Law Associates, Inc. has experienced auto accident attorneys that can help. If you are in an accident and need assistance, contact us today for a free case consultation.