Peter Gemma grew up in Providence, Rhode Island. Even when he was young, Peter knew what it would be like to practice law in his hometown. His father, Alfred Gemma, had been practicing law in Providence since the 1960s. As a teenager, Peter knew he might follow in his father’s footsteps and become an attorney.
After receiving his B.A. degree in English from Clark University in 1987, he decided the time had come to pursue a career in the law. He enrolled at Suffolk University Law School in Boston and obtained his J.D. there in 1990.
He soon returned home to join his father’s firm, and seven years later his younger brother Mark followed suit, making Gemma Law Associates a true family law firm. The lawyers in the Gemma family intend to provide legal help in the Providence community for years to come.
Peter’s practice focuses on civil litigation—primarily cases involving personal injury, products liability, premises liability, auto accidents and construction accidents. Over the course of his career, he has had numerous significant verdicts and settlements, many of them in the six- and seven-figure range.
Peter’s Commitment to his Rhode Island Community
He’s also maintained the firm’s commitment to the community in other ways. His volunteer efforts include assisting the McAuley House, a service of McAuley Ministries which provides food, shelter, and basic needs for indigent people; SquashBusters, an after-school program that provides educational tutoring and sports opportunities for city youths; the Providence Little League; and the Ronald McDonald House.
“We want to give back to the community,” he says. “We’re in an economic climate here in Providence where we see a lot of people who are indigent and who have a lot of problems. So we try to help out where we can.”
He brings the same spirit of commitment to his day-to-day law practice.
“It’s important to me that I’m able to help people who otherwise wouldn’t have access to the courts,” he says. “They wouldn’t be able to afford to hire lawyers on their own if weren’t for the contingency-fee arrangement that we provide.”
His busy professional life and community commitments limit his personal time; but when he has it, he enjoys running, playing squash, and traveling.
- Providence, Rhode Island, December 24, 1964
- Clark University, B.A., 1987, Suffolk University, J.D., 1990
- Personal Injury
- Product Injuries / Product Liability
- Probate; Automobile Accidents and Injuries
- Slip and Fall; Mesothelioma; Nursing Home Accidents/Injuries
- Motorcycle Accidents; Social Security Disability Claims; Lead Poisoning
- Rhode Island Associates for Justice – Member
- American Association for Justice – Member
- Rhode Island Bar Association – Member
- Massachusetts Bar Association – Member
- Admitted to practice in Rhode Island and Massachusetts
- Admitted to practice United States District Court – District or Rhode Island
- Justinian Law Society – Member
- Crossroads Rhode Island homeless shelter – Volunteer
- Food Allergy Network – Member
- Tomorrow Fund
- SquashBusters-youth academic, athletic, community service program
- 1990, Rhode Island
- 1991, U.S. District Court, District of Rhode Island
- 2007, Massachusetts