Rhode Island Construction Accident Lawyers
Anyone who has worked in construction knows what a dangerous job it can be. In fact, some construction work is considered more risky than being a police officer in the line of duty, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.
In Rhode Island, the dedicated construction accident lawyers at Gemma Law Associates Inc. are the allies you need when the worst happens and you have to fight for the full and fair compensation you deserve after your RI personal injury. When you decide to work with our dedicated team, our hands-on Rhode Island construction accident lawyers will:
- Sit down with you in person to get all the details about your accident and your injury
- Thoroughly investigate your accident to determine who’s at fault and whether there’s a history of negligence or safety violations
- Take the lead in navigating the complex Rhode Island workers’ compensation system
- Aggressively advocate for you if your case needs to go to court
- Relentlessly pursue the compensation you and your family need to get your lives back on track
If you have been hurt or lost a loved one in an accident that someone else’s carelessness or recklessness caused, or in an act of violence or abuse, you have a right to seek compensation for your medical bills and losses.
The Rhode Island personal injury lawyers of Gemma Law Associates, Inc., have years of experience in helping injured people from Providence and throughout Rhode Island to include: Bristol, Cranston, Kent County, Newport, Pawtucket, Warwick, Washington County, Woonsocket, and more to obtain funds that can help them recover and rebuild their lives.
Contact Gemma Law Associates: Construction Accident Injury Attorney
We can help you seek compensation for your expenses and your pain and suffering after someone else has harmed you. Call us toll-free today or complete our online form to get started on your case.
Still researching and not wanting to call us yet? Here are a list of resources that may help you find out the information you need about your Rhode Island personal injury:
Our Rhode Island construction accident lawyers have decades of experience maximizing workers’ compensation payments and successfully securing compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other burdens stemming from construction injuries and deaths. And our reach extends from Providence to Newport, Bristol, Woonsocket, Pawtucket, Cranston, and beyond.
Schedule a free case consultation with us today by calling or filling out our online form.
What To Do If You’ve Been Hurt At A Construction Site
In the moments immediately after a serious accident at a construction site, everything can go by in a blur. If you have been injured, though, there are important steps you need to take to protect yourself and your right to compensation after an accident.
- Report the accident to your supervisor. You may tell your supervisor or ask someone else to notify your boss while you go to the doctor. As soon as possible, you should submit a short notification in writing, documenting the accident and including when and where it happened and who was involved. An attorney can help you write this notification.
- Seek medical attention immediately. Remember to tell the doctor that you were injured at work. It is extremely important to follow your doctor’s instructions, including taking all medications as prescribed and attending any follow-up appointments.
- Get contact information for any witnesses to the accident. Anyone who was with you or who saw the construction accident could have useful information to help with your claim. Try to note the names and phone numbers of anyone who could help explain what happened.
- Schedule a consultation with an experienced Rhode Island construction accident lawyer. The Rhode Island workers’ compensation system is complicated, but a knowledgeable attorney can make sure your claim is properly documented and filed according to the strict deadlines. Depending on the circumstances in your case, a lawyer may also be able to identify additional sources of compensation for you.
If you or a loved one has been seriously hurt in a construction accident, you can’t afford to fight for compensation on your own. You need someone who knows the system and works on these types of cases day in and day out. Let the dedicated construction accident attorneys at Gemma Law Associates focus on your fight for compensation, while you focus on getting better.
Options For Compensation After A Construction Accident
Construction sites can be crowded with so many people ─ contractors, subcontractors, equipment operators, tradesmen, property owners, and managers ─ that when an accident happens, it may not be clear at first who is to blame. In general, there are three options for pursuing compensation after a construction accident:
- Workers’ compensation claims: Most injuries suffered in construction site accidents give rise to workers’ compensation claims. Unfortunately, filing a claim is not as easy as it should be. Workers’ compensation insurers often try to deny claims and argue that an injury is not work-related. That’s why having a construction attorney who is well-versed in the workers’ compensation process is so important.
- Claims against another liable party: Although those covered under workers’ compensation cannot file a third-party claim against their employer, they can file a third-party claim if the injury was caused by someone other than themselves, a co-worker, or their employer. Thus, workers’ compensation benefits can be supplemented by legal action against third parties such as general contractors, subcontractors, manufacturers of defective equipment, site managers, site owners, and insurance companies.
- Wrongful death claims: Under the worst circumstances, when a worker does not survive a construction accident, his or her family is left to figure out how to pay for medical bills and funeral expenses. A compassionate Rhode Island wrongful death attorney can help families get through this tough time and fight for justice for their loved one.
With so many parties involved, construction accidents can be extremely complicated. A knowledgeable Rhode Island construction accident attorney can go over all of your options with you and identify every potential source of compensation.
Understanding General Contractor’s Legal Responsibilities
With workers of various trades interacting on a variety of projects, construction sites can be hectic. Nevertheless, you should know that the general contractor is required to:
- Provide a reasonably safe workplace
- Warn of hazards on the site
- Hire careful employees
- Comply with specifications regarding inspection and training
Subcontractors must also ensure job safety, but the ultimate responsibility lies with the general contractor. If you feel like your accident was caused by negligence on the part of the general contractor, discuss this concern with one of our attorneys immediately.
Common Construction Worksite Hazards
Anyone who has stepped into work boots on a construction site knows this can be a dangerous business. The federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration warns that common hazards include:
- Falls from heights such as ladders
- Being struck by an object
- Trench collapse
- Scaffold collapse
- Electric shock and arc flash/arc blast
- Failure to use proper personal protective equipment
- Repetitive motion injuries
- Lack of respiratory protection
- Powered industrial trucks
- Unsafe or improperly used equipment
- Being caught in or between (such as being caught in equipment or between equipment and a wall)
After these accidents come the hard questions: Was the worker properly trained? Was the equipment defective? Was the equipment adequate for the job? Were common safety standards, practices, and regulations followed? Does the fault lie with the employer, with third parties, or both?
For your sake, you need a qualified construction accident attorney to investigate your case and determine the answers to these questions.
Let Us Help You Fight For The Compensation You Deserve
At Gemma Law Associates, our highly skilled construction accident lawyers are committed to fighting for justice for workers who are hurt on the job. No matter how complicated your case is, our seasoned attorneys will sort through all the evidence and build a strong claim for you.
Schedule a free case consultation today by calling or filling out our online form.