Free Legal Consultation
Frequently Asked Questions
How Much Is My Case Worth?
For the opinion of a qualified and experienced legal team, turn to the Rhode Island law firm of Gemma Law Associates, Inc. We will thoroughly evaluate your case, provide you with all your legal options and pursue the most effective strategy designed to help you obtain the compensation you deserve. We represent clients throughout the state of Rhode Island, including Providence, Newport, Woonsocket, Bristol, Cranston,Pawtucket and Warwick.
For immediate legal assistance in Providence or throughout Rhode Island, call us toll free or contact us via our online form.
What is my case worth?
The short answer is that no one knows at the outset of your case. It depends on multiple factors. An experienced personal injury lawyer can tell you whether your case is strong or weak and whether it best to settle or press for a court verdict. Beyond that initial assessment, the factors that affect the worth of a personal injury case include:
- The extent and duration of your injury. Compensation can be affected by whether you can heal and recover from your injury or whether you will suffer permanent disability.
- Your medical costs, current and anticipated, plus lost wages and other financial losses.
- The extent of your pain and suffering.
- The amount of insurance involved and the extent of the other party’s assets.
- The extent, if any, to which you were responsible for your injury.
- Your ability to prove the other party’s liability in causing your injury.
- Whether a jury also awards you punitive damages to punish the other party and send a message to others who might engage in similar actions or conduct.
In assessing your case, the immediate issue isn’t the case’s worth, but its strength. A case with a potential for a large amount of compensation isn’t worth anything if the plaintiff recovers nothing in court. A case in which compensation may be modest is still worth pursing if the other party’s responsibility can be clearly established.
The strength of you case is affected by the strength of the law firm you choose. Personal injury lawyers with deep experience will collect and organize evidence and witness statements, assess the current and potential costs of your injury, investigate the other party’s liability, negotiate with insurance companies and, if necessary, present your case to a jury. These steps ensure that injured plaintiffs get the compensation they are due.
If you’ve suffered from a serious personal injury and want to know whether you have a valid legal claim, contact Gemma Law Associates, Inc. toll free or submit an online contact form. We’ve been helping clients in Rhode Island for nearly five decades – and we can help you.