Snow, sleet, ice and other winter weather conditions in Rhode Island contribute to car accidents. These are not always a matter of fault – especially in snow and ice. But when someone was driving too fast for conditions, driving while distracted or impaired or simply not paying proper attention, they shouldn’t get away with blaming the crash on the weather instead of their own negligence.
Consider these facts about a winter car accident in Rhode Island:
- More than 70 percent of the nation’s roads are located in snowy regions, which average more than five inches of snowfall annually, according to the Federal Highway Administration. Nearly 70 percent of the U.S. population lives in these snowy regions.
- The five months from November 15 to April 15 make up Rhode Island’s winter weather driving season, though snow, sleet and freezing rain can fall earlier or later.
- Speeds on main artery roads decrease by 30 to 40 percent when roads are snowy or slushy. Freeway speeds slow by 3 to 13 percent in light snow and by 5 to 40 percent in heavy snow.
- Twenty-four percent of weather-related car crashes happen on snowy, slushy or icy pavement, while 15 percent happen as snow or sleet fall.
- More than 1,300 people are killed and more than 116,800 people suffer personal injury in motor vehicle accidents that occur on snowy, slushy or icy pavement annually.
- Almost 900 people are killed and nearly 76,000 people are injured each year in motor vehicle crashes during snowfall or sleet.
- Both nonfatal-injury and property-damage-only car crashes increase significantly when it snows, according to the American Journal of Public Health. Fatal car crashes, however, decline. Compared with later snowfalls, significantly more fatalities occur because of the first snow of the season.
- Most car accidents that occur in adverse weather happen because a driver is going too fast for weather or traffic conditions, according to the University of California at Berkeley’s Institute of Transportation Studies.
Contact a Rhode Island Car Accident Lawyer Today
If you or a family member of yours has been injured in a winter weather car accident in Rhode Island that was the other driver’s fault, the lawyers at Gemma Law Associates, Inc., can help you seek compensation. You may be entitled to payment for your medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering and other damages. Contact us today. Call our toll-free number or complete our online form. We can provide a free consultation about your case.
Contact Gemma Law: Trusted Car Accident Lawyers in Rhode Island
If you need help with an uninsured motorist claim, contact Gemma Law Associates, Inc., toll free or submit an online contact form. We’ve been helping clients in Rhode Island for more than 45 years – and we can help you.
Get More Information about Rhode Island Car Accidents
The Rhode Island personal injury lawyers of Gemma Law Associates, Inc., have years of experience in helping injured people from Providence and throughout Rhode Island to include: Bristol, Cranston, Kent County, Newport, Pawtucket, Warwick, Washington County, Woonsocket, and more to obtain funds that can help them recover and rebuild their lives.
- Personal injury RI
- RI Car Accident Lawyer
- Rhode island dog bite laws
- Construction Site Injury & Workers’ Compensation in RI
- Workers’ Compensation Rhode Island
- Slip and Fall Accident Injury Lawyer Rhode Island
- Car Accident with Drunk Driver in Rhode Island
- Medical Malpractice and Negligence in Rhode Island
- Wrongful Death Lawyer Rhode Island
- Rhode Island Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect
- Multi-car accident and pile up Attorney in Rhode Island
- Truck Accident Rhode Island
- See More Rhode Island Legal Services Resources here!